The Domestique short has finally reached the stage where the latest cut I got from the editor left me with the feeling I hadn’t wasted $5K. Almost to the point I wouldn’t be embarrassed to actually put it to its original intended use: to interest actual retired professional domestiques to fund the project.
That being said, I’m not totally happy with it. But my editor – who has been working on it for around 5 months now – is ready to move on. I have to decide if I want to start over and hope I can produce something better (all while learning Blender and hopefully making a horror short) or run the risk that my proof-of-concept has enough deficiencies that it will turn off potential investors.
I’m trapped in analysis paralysis at the moment. I got a nice shiny new mobile workstation specifically for editing (and now animation), which should have more than enough horsepower to get the job done in a timely manner, but beyond the PITA that is greenscreen (though I’ve learned better ways to remove the green without causing artifacts, when the background image requires the chromakey-ed foreground to move in relation things get complicated quickly), there’s a substantial dearth of the stock footage I feel I need to sell the story I initially wrote.
What to do, what to do…